Frequently asked questions
What is a virtual podiatry consultation?
Can’t make it into either of our locations? Time poor? Too far to travel? Stay at home mum/dad and can’t bear taking the kids to a waiting room? Want expert advice from the best but are too far away? Not sure you even need a podiatrist?
Modern technology enables us to communicate with each other in an efficient way and much of what we need to do in a clinical consultation can be done over the internet using skype.
A consultation is conducted between you (or a dependant and you) and your podiatrist using the internet to connect with each other from different locations. This is called a virtual podiatry consultation or an online podiatry consultation.
What sort of problems are suitable for an on-line video consultation?
There are many conditions and problems that can be assessed during an on-line consultation and this includes:
- Rehabilitation of injuries
- Prehabilitation (preparation for using weakened muscles)
- Improved running technique
- Ingrown toenails
- Verrucae (commonly known as warts)
- Deformities such as bunions (Hallux Valgus), hammertoes, flat feet etc.
- Many painful conditions such as tendonopathies
- Wound management
- Some gait abnormalities
If you are unsure of what else we do then check out our Services page! When we ring you to make the appointment we will make sure that we are able to deal with your problem using the virtual consultation process.
How do I get an appointment?
Book a virtual consultation with one of our podiatrists over Skype. Using your computer or mobile device.
- Start your on-line consultation by filling out the contact form at the bottom of the page so we call you.
- We’ll call you back soon to find out what sort of help you need and arrange a time and appointment length.
- If needed send us a video by simply sending a text or facebook message.
- Book and pay using our easy online payment system.
- We will send you a diagnostic survey to fill out prior to the appointment. This ensures that the podiatrist has all the information needed to help you during the consultation. It will reduce the time needed for the appointment as your podiatrist will not need to ask you many questions.
- Your appointment will take place at the agreed time. Simple as that!
For the appointment you’ll need to add us as a contact on Skype. Our Skype name is: PodiatryPoint
What are the advantages of an online consultation?
- Access to specialist care especially for remote communities who have no local option
- Reduced waiting time to see your podiatrist
- Reduced travel time and costs
- Reduced time off work
What do I need to do to get ready for the online podiatry consultation?
You can prepare for your online podiatry consultation by following these simple steps:
- Ensure that you have completed the diagnostic survey that is sent to you once payment is received.
- Ensure that you have downloaded Skype and have created an account (if you don’t already have one)
- Sign in to skype at least 15 minutes prior to the appointment.
- Wear clothes that will allow the podiatrist to see your feet up to your knees.
- Please reduce any nearby noise. Turn off music and phones
What happens during the consultation?
- When you receive the call on your skype account accept the call as soon as you can.
- Speak clearly into the computer microphone so that the podiatrist can hear you clearly.
- Feel free to ask any questions you have during the consultation.
- Look at the camera so the podiatrist can see you clearly.
- At the start of the consultation your podiatrist will introduce themselves and ask some clarifying questions such as name and date of birth to make sure that you are the right person and that they are looking at the right health record/diagnostic. The podiatrist will then conduct the consultation in the same way as if you were in the same room.
I don’t have Skype what do I need to do?
Download Skype to your computer by clicking here! You will select whether you are using your mobile device or computer etc. You will then need to create an account using your email address. The call will be made over the internet and will incur no cost.
Where do I have to be for the online consultation?
You can participate in the virtual consultation from any location that is convenient to you but should have good internet access.
Do I have to have an online consultation?
If you would prefer you are able to attend our practice in Toowoomba. A virtual consultation is an option for you to consider depending on the nature of your problem and access to an internet connection.
How much will it cost?
Our normal billing process applies and fees are charged based on the consultation type. Rebates from your private health care may be available depending on the type of policy you have.
If there are any other fees associated with your consultation you will be advised of them at the time by your podiatrist. For example if are going to post you any dressings or creams.
Will my private health insurance pay for my online consultation?
Yes, in Australia private health will pay as per normal as long as you have podiatry cover as part of your policy. We suggest that you check with your health fund prior to booking to assess your cover. At the conclusion of your consultation we will issue you with a receipt and you can then make your claim to them.
Will Medicare pay for my online consultation?
Medicare will not pay for an online consultation at this time. Medicare will only pay for a face to face consultation. You can however still pay for your virtual podiatry consultation privately.
What if I have to cancel the appointment?
If you need to cancel or reschedule your appointment please let us know immediately. We have a practice policy that if you do not provide 24 hours’ notice of the cancellation then you will be liable for the full fee. Refunds will however be given if we are able to fill the appointment with another patient. This also applies if you do not sign in for the appointment.
How is my right to privacy affected?
Your privacy will be protected in the same way a face-to-face consultation. The laws in Australia are very specific about the confidentiality of patients and their records. Podiatry Point strictly adheres to these laws.
No one else will be present during your consultation without your knowledge. If you wish you can have another family member or friend present during the consultation.
How safe is skype?
Skype uses encryption for all its skype to skype calls. This prevents eavesdropping by another party. If you want more information click below
What if I need to be examined?
A certain amount of examination can occur remotely and you will be advised accordingly. The initial phone call that you have with a staff member will determine if we are able to provide you with online care based on what you describe as your problem. If however you do require a direct examination then a clinical appointment may need to be scheduled. If you are not in close proximity to our practices then we will put you in touch with a qualified and reputable practitioner (podiatrist/nurse/doctor) near to you to conduct the examination and provide the results to us or provide you with ongoing care if need be.
What if I feel that I can’t continue?
It is perfectly normal to feel a bit nervous at the beginning of your first online podiatry consultation. This is a new and different way to see a specialist however most patients will feel comfortable after a short time. If you do feel that you are unable to continue then please tell your podiatrist. Please be aware that the consultation fee will still apply.
I live overseas can I still have a virtual consultation?
As long as you have access to the internet you are able to participate in an online podiatry consultation. Unfortunately we are unable to look after patients who are in the USA or Canada.